Wednesday, January 4, 2012

A Sweet, Innocent Note

Five years and four months ago when I heard the words, “it’s a boy,” I knew this day would come. I guess I just didn’t expect it to happen so soon.
Last night while cleaning out Tyler’s backpack or “book pack” as he call it, amidst a snack wrapper, homework folder and random stick of green clay, was a folded piece of white 8 x 11 paper. The inevitable had happened. At the age of five, Tyler had received his first love note. I have to admit that it was cute – a card with a drawing and the words,  “to Tyler, Love Lilly.” I asked Tyler about it. He smiled his shy little smile, shrugged and said, “She made me a card.”
I think I will stick that card in his keepsake box that I keep on the top shelf of his closet. It is a first, and it should have a place amongst his birth announcement, first birthday cards, various art projects and locks from his first haircut.
True confession of the day: I sprouted another grey hair thinking about what is coming down the line for Tyler!

No comments:

Post a Comment